Sunday 2 February 2014

Tensile Structures


Whilst at university I did a small research project into the tensile structures by Frei Otto. I made numerous tensile structures of my own using similar methods to Frei Otto. The models pictured above were produced with tights. This is a very effective way of producing interesting tensile forms. 

I have continued exploring the Kangaroo plugin for Grasshopper and have been able to produce very similar tensile forms digitally to those which I produced physically. There is a further plugin required to produce such forms called Weaverbird. Below is video of the simulation produced with the software. 


The final 3D models had a neat mesh and were fairly effective at imitating the real life behaviour of the tensile models I made. Below are a few images of the final tensile mesh, thanks to the Grasshopper Kangaroo Weaverbird software.

2 comments:

  1. Really nice post for tensile structure. If you want more ideas so i have more ideas please visit this link http://www.ekradecor.net/index.html kindly click and get more information

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Great work. What fabric did you used? Thank you

    ReplyDelete